UCLG is calling to track gender equality in local government and drive the achievement of SDG 5.
Increasing the proportion of women in locally elected office is vitally important as part of the global commitment to Sustainable Development Goal 5 on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Ensure women's full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic and public life"
Target 5.5 of the SDG 5 of the 2030 Agenda
Indicator 5.5.1 will allow women to #BeCounted in local government worlwide
UCLG estimates that around 20% of councilors and just 5% of mayors globally are women. However, there currently is a lack of comparable global data on the number of women in local councils.
For this reason, in the Framework of the 61st session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, Mayor of Paris and UCLG Co-President, Anne Hidalgo, will lead a delegation of women mayors to call on the international community to develop proposed SDG indicator 5.5.1 on the representation of women in local government.
We can only achieve equality if we know where we are now and can measure our progress. ”
Statement by women mayors
SPREAD THE WORD
- Share our statement : UCLG Statement on international womens day 2017
- Share our Op-ed signed by women mayors and published in El Pais
- Share our op-ed at Citiscope: We need global data on women’s participation in local government
- Check out the programme of the women mayors delegation at the 61st session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women on 13 March
- Check out the statement by UCLG Africa: UCLG calls for locally elected women to #BeCounted on International Women’s Day 2017
- See the video by the President of Metropolis Women, Laura Pérez Castaño
- Check out the statement of CLGF: CLGF is supporting #BECOUNTED for more local elected women
- Read the article by CLGF Deputy Secretary-General, Lucy Slack on Measuring women’s participation in local government
If you agree that we need to count locally elected women to achieve gender equality in local government, support the campaign on social media using the hashtags: #BeCounted, #WomensDay and #IWD2017
SHARE OUR MESSAGES:
Download the cards and share them via social media