The 27 October took place the ceremony of the “International Award UCLG – MEXICO CITY – Culture 21”. The objective of this award is to recognise leading cities and personalities that have distinguished themselves through their contribution to culture as a dimension of sustainable development.
The Award Ceremony was hosted by Miguel Ángel Mancera, Chief Minister of the City of Mexico; Eduardo Vázquez Martín, Federal District Secretary on Culture for Mexico City and President of the International Jury and Ing. Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas Solórzano, General Coordinator for International Affairs of the City of Mexico; and with the presence of the winners of the 2nd edition of the Award: Mr. Ousmane Hallé, Mayor of the City of Timbuktu (Mali); Mr. Guy Pilon, Mayor of the City of Vaudreuil-Dorion (Québec, Canada); Mr. Jon Hawkes; and Mrs. Silvia Rivera Cusicanqui.
The winners of the 2016 edition of the “International Award UCLG - Mexico City - Culture 21” were elected in May 2016, the Jury selected the winners:
- In the category “City, Local or Regional Government”: the city of Timbuktu, with the programme “Cultural heritage and reinvigoration of socio-economic activities inTimbuktu”, and the city of Vaudreuil-Dorion, with the programme “I am… / The adventure of one community in the middle of a transformation”.
- In the “Individual” category: Jon Hawkes and Silvia Rivera Cusicanqui.
The Jury also decided to give a special mention to the following cities:
- Busan (Republic of Korea) – “Historic downtown culture cluster ‘Totatoga’”
- Dakar (Senegal) – “School of Commons”
- Kaunas (Lithuania) – “The Šančiai Cabbage Field Project – small scale seeks big transformation”
- Lake Megantic (Quebec, Canada) – “Rebuilding Lake Mégantic”
- Montevideo (Uruguay) – “Cultural Co-Management Civic Centre: SACUDE”
For more info: