The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will hold negotiation sessions in Bonn, Germany, from 10 to 14 March. The Bonn session will be critical for local and regional governments to continue building the momentum to the COP-20 in Lima and COP-21 in Paris.
The negotiations will be held through the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action (ADP). ADP was launched in Durban to adopt a universal legal agreement on climate change no later than 2015. This will be the fourth part of the second session (ADP 2-4).
Specifically, the Bonn sessions will concentrate on:
- Promoting the implementation of good practice mitigation policies that could be scaled up through increased international cooperation.
- Developing a set of options related to mitigation policies to enable effective implementation.
ICLEI colleagues who are facilitating the Local Governments Climate Roadmap, of which UCLG is a full partner, have highlighted the following key opportunities for local and regional governments:
- No side-event scheduled, but a virtual expo is organized, where local governments’ documents can be uploaded.
- A technical session dealing with Renewable Energy will include a local government representative from ICLEI (Work stream 2).
- A Friends of Cities meeting is scheduled on 11 March at 14:00. The meeting will gather Party negotiators and members of the Local Governments Climate Roadmap.
Events and meetings that will be of interest for local governments include:
- UNFCCC Executive Secretary Briefing on 11 March at 15:30 (timing to be confirmed)
- Special Events with ADP Co-Chairs on 13 March at 18:15 (timing to be confirmed)
Please click on the links below to access the following pages:
More information: Check UCLG climate change information page