The Metropolis Initiatives launched in 2012 constitute the main lynchpin of the new Action Plan of the Metropolitan Section of UCLG to foster specific projects and services for cities in conjunction with institutions and companies.
The Metropolis Board of Directors meeting held on 26 November 2011 in Porto Alegre approved, within the framework of the 2012-2014 Action Plan, eight Initiatives for the year 2012. With the Initiatives, the UCLG Metropolitan Section seeks to consolidate network-based management of its activities, more targeted at projects and oriented towards results and more open to partnerships and external funding.
The approved Initiatives are as follows:
- "Agile Cities for a New Age of Accessibility, Efficiency and Growth" by the international organisations Living Labs and The Climate Group
- "Comparative Study on Metropolitan Governance" by the State of São Paulo
- "Concrete actions taken by metropolises to mitigate, anticipate and adapt to climate change" by the Île-de-France Region and the city of Porto Alegre
- "Integrated Strategic Planning and Public-Private Partnerships" by Melbourne in collaboration with the United Nations Global Compact Cities Programme (UNGCCP)
- "Integrated Urban Governance - Successful Policy Transfer" by the city of Berlin in collaboration with theHumboldt-Viadrina School of Governance (HVSoG)
- "Mentoring on Upgrading Informal Settlements" by the cities of Durban and São Paulo as well as United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG)
- "Promotion and Development of the Barcelona Innovation Center" by Barcelona City Council and the company CISCO
- "Transferring Knowledge and Cooperating in Culture, Education and City" by the Kreanta Foundation
For further information on the Metropolis Initiatives, click here.