UCLG announces the opening of the “International Award UCLG - Mexico City - Culture 21”. The objective of the Award, promoted by Mexico City and the Culture Committee, is to recognize leading cities and people that have distinguished themselves through their contribution to culture as a dimension of sustainable development. The Award is also expected to contribute to the dissemination and implementation of Agenda 21 for culture. The Award is now opening and proves the leadership of Mexico City in the area of culture and sustainable development.
The Award has two categories.
Category CITY / LOCAL OR REGIONAL GOVERNMENT
- This category will award a city, local or regional government whose cultural policy has contributed significantly to linking the values of culture (heritage, diversity, creativity and transmission of knowledge) with democratic governance, citizen participation and sustainable development. The award will be given to the local or regional government candidate that wins a competitive call process, open to UCLG (direct or indirect) members.
- This award will recognize an original policy, programme or project that explicitly includes the principles of Agenda 21 for culture. The action awarded should count on, at least, two years of execution and have documented proof of the impact and the successes achieved.
- The winning city will receive the amount of 50,000 euros, which will be used for the international promotion of the project (the publication of a book, participation in forums, international visibility) and to strengthen the local implementation of the Agenda 21 for culture.
- All the good submissions will be highlighted in our website, and they will be promoted as “good practices on culture in sustainable development”.
- This category will award an internationally renowned person who has made a fundamental contribution to the relationship between culture and development.
- This award will be designated by the Jury, without an open competition process. The organisers invite all the members of UCLG (direct or indirect) to make spontaneous nominations of a personality.
- The selected personality will receive the amount of 25,000 euros and become a Cultural Ambassador for the City of Mexico.
The deadline for submission of projects is 31st March 2014.
You can download the information brochure, the rules and the application form in the website http://award.agenda21culture.net and contact the Committee on Culture of UCLG for requests and more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.