In view of the arrest of the Mayor of Caracas, UCLG calls for the safeguarding of the principles of local democracy, as the bases for a peaceful society.
UCLG and its members around the world would like to recall the vital role of local government as a force for sustainable development, good governance, sustainable urbanization and the promotion of the rights of the citizen; including fundamental rights.
Accountable and transparent institutions, subject to the scrutiny of the people and the strict application of the rule of law, are basic guarantees that must be protected and prioritized.
In this light, UCLG calls for all legal guarantees to be applied in the above-mentioned case, and in all cases affecting local leaders, mindful of the mandates received from the population.
We would like to stress that local events should in no case jeopardize the autonomy, legitimacy and independence of local authorities.
Other related Communiqués (available in Spanish):
- Asociación de Alcaldes por Venezuela
- Municipalidad Metropolitana de Lima
- Secretaría Técnica de Redcisur
- Gustavo Petro, Mayor of Bogotá
- Mauricio Rodas, Mayor of Quito
- Federación Española de Municipios y Provincias (FEMP) available in English