The United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. The Day is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
2018 theme: Municipal Solid Waste Management
The focus of this year’s World Habitat Day celebrations is taking action to address the municipal solid waste management challenge. This year’s theme is Municipal Solid Waste Management with a slogan Waste-wise cities. On 1 October 2018, and in the period before and after this day, a concerted effort will be made to:
- raise awareness that Municipal solid waste is a global challenge that all of us need to address
- facilitate policy dialogue and form partnerships
- promote innovative solutions to municipal solid waste management
- mobilize resources to address the municipal solid waste challenges
The international campaign includes a series of events, communication tools and channels. The main event will be held in Nairobi, Kenya on 1 October 2018.
- More info: https://www.un.org/en/events/habitatday/